Internet connection fixed!

A couple of days ago I was having problems with my Internet connection but I’ve solved them tonight. I put my networking hat on (I used to write embedded software for routers and network switch equipment) and worked through a few steps to diagnose the issue … MTU.

By default my router (Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v23) had an MTU set to Auto (1500), I changed this to Manual (1400) and everything came back to life and works perfectly. Later  I read in a couple of forums that old Telewest customers (like me) are now having some of our traffic routed over the old NTL network, which is not as good as the Telewest network, in order to balance the load. I guess one of the NTL routers doesn’t like 1500 byte packets or can’t deal with packet fragmentatoin correctly.

Either way problem solved and just before Intrepid Ibex is due out 😀

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *